Runner Spotlight: Sydney
We're so inspired by all of runners. Casting a net from beginners to experienced, from race-walkers to marathon trainers, we have been given the pleasure of hearing so many stories of very different journeys. One of our most inspiring stories is Sydney who trained for an entire year of 5k's. We asked her to share her story with the rest of the Weav community.
1. Who are you and what do you do when you're not running?
My name is Sydney, and when I'm not running I am a Camp Director for an innovation camp. I inspire campers to develop into innovators who envision and create a better world. Additionally, I'm working at a local Brewery spreading the love of beer!
2. How long have you been running for? What got you started?
About 3 years ago, my good friend was pretty adamant that I would love going to spin. She was convinced this was my breakthrough workout routine and she was absolutely right. I was going 2-3 times a week and absolutely loving the song and rhythm combo. My friend then started getting into running and really encouraged me. This honestly took a good year to finally start accepting and I then just decided to challenge myself with running one 5k a month to get myself motivated. This was something I didn't want to wait for January 1st, so I stuck to it and immediately signed myself up for 3 races for the next 3 months. Last month marked my 15th race and I'm going to start training for a 10k in the fall.
3. How does running with music make you feel?
I grew up in a musical household, so I play about four instruments. Music has always been my getaway, so combining it with running and escaping is exactly what I needed to succeed. I had no idea about cadences and now I realize I run better and faster when I am in beat!
4. What's your power song?
Runaway (U & I). It's always how I start my runs because its such a build up!
5. Tell us three great things you've learned from running:
- It doesn't get easier the more you do it.
- Get an accountabili-buddy. They don't need to be your running partner, but they need to be someone to hold you accountable to your goals
- Call yourself a runner. You don't need to look like a running model in order to get out and run!
6. Tell us three things that you cannot go running without:
- Wireless headphones, seriously make all the difference
- Phone (because music of course)
- Some type of headband or hat because hot or cold weather, it gets sweaty!
Thanks Sydney for taking the time to share your story with our team and community! We are so happy to see you breaking through barriers and pushing yourself to be the best you can be!! ❤️